Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's curtains for you, Pugsy!

Okay, that title was just an excuse to post a picture of Coco the pug.

Today's up-cycled project is made from part of a curtain. But probably not the part you'd expect!

Most of the curtains in my house are these basic white tab-top panels:

In the living room, however, we decided we liked the look without the tabs. We cut em' off and substituted little clips:

Which means...a big stash of these white cotton curtain-tab tubes, just begging to be crafted upon!

I'm always on the lookout for creative ways to package up itty bitty gifts of jewelry. Like, for example, I might need to mail out some deer earrings or some coral buttons to some giveaway winners. H
ow to package them...thinking... thinking...


That's right. In these humble white curtain-tabs, we have The Ultimate Teeny Weeny Gift Bag Blank. Grab a tab. Add your own style. Fill with some variety of tiny giftie - and you are golden. Here are a few I whipped up.

Your immediate instinct will be girly/swelegant.

But they just as easily can go masculine.

Or unisex.

Or cute or silly.


No matter what you come up with, it will be fun to make.

So if you ever think of altering your curtains, save those tabs! They are the best little things. If I think of any more stuff to do with them, I might have to start counting to ten...hmm, can I come up with that many ideas for these?
(Update: reader Amanda mentioned the obvious - if you don't have curtain tabs, sew yourself a long skinny tube of fabric, cut it into sections, and start crafting your own teeny weeny gift bags. Thanks, Amanda!)

5 comments:

  1. Oh.my.goodness -- that is ADORABLE! So creative! I actually need some favor bags for an upcoming 8YO birthday party. Maybe I'll sew up some tubes instead of purchasing clear plastic. Thanks again for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - why didn't I think of that? (Duh - because I can't sew.) I'm going to update this post with a mention of sewing your own. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I'm so glad you linked up to my Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the leftover tabs. Very clever....I would have course thrown the tabs out a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a cute idea!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Have a good day!
    Leticia
    www.msbinglesvintagechristmas.com

    ReplyDelete