Saturday, June 12, 2010

Coming to cuffs.

Hello again! A few days ago, I showed you how to make these leafy rings from scrap plastic and felt.

Should we size them up into cuff bracelets? By Jove, I think we should! Drink that Alice in Wonderland potion at the back of your cupboard, and cut out that same shape, but way bigger. A straight strip in the center, and two opposite-pointing leafy shapes at the ends.

Draw some leafy veins to fancy it up; here, I used a Sharpie. You also need a bit of cord or string, and a little ornament to put in the center. A bead, or a felt flower... heck, why not both?

Poke 2 holes in each leaf. (To decide where the holes go, form the circlet and mark where the leaves overlap; the holes are best offset a little, rather than dead center, because the circlet ends up crooked otherwise.) Then thread the cord:

Finish up by threading both ends of the cord through your centerpiece, and tie a knot...

Boom! Cuff bracelet done! On the black one, I drew the veins with dimensional puffy paint. (I was afraid it wouldn't grip the felt, but it really bonded. I kind of love it.)

Here are the first two I made. Not counting the time for the paint to dry, they took about, oh, ten minutes.

They would make cute gifts, and they cost practically nothing. Plus, as a sewing-challenged individual, I adore a no-sew project!

The felt was single-ply, so they're a little floppier than a cuff bracelet usually feels. It didn't bother me, they're fun and easy to wear. Just...different. But if you can find some thicker felt, like this green one...

...you definitely end up with a more traditional, structured cuff. I cut the green felt from a dollar store placemat. (Possibly the ugliest placemat ever!) Also - in case you don't have a fancy bead handy - I omitted the big bead, and made it more about the flower-and-ribbon centerpiece. I think my green cuff is pretty cute.

Want one even greener? How about upcycling a plastic soda bottle? No problemo:

Yay, plastic soda bottles! These really are easy. And quick. I bet you could make them with kids, when you want to tackle a recycling craft.

That's it for now.
Thanks for coming to cuffs with me! (Tutorial ends.)






10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you started a blog! By Jove, I am. And I'm also glad you said "By Jove." Heh.

    Great project, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog with great interest each new post by jove!
    thanks so much for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog today and totally LOVE it! These are fabulous and I believe will make great accessories for an upcoming family wedding. Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rings and the cuffs! Passing on a blog award to you! http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/2010/06/paying-it-forward.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Cute and look fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are awesome!

    Thanks for linking up at Saturday is Crafty Day!
    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, i like the dramatic black one! I'm not the flowery type, but I'd totally wear this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so unique. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! The soda plastic is so clever! Amazing job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle- I'll be featuring your rings and cuffs tomorrow! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for joining The Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete