Friday, July 9, 2010

When earrings stray.

Just a little thing to post today; this is probably something many of you have done. But just in case it hasn't occurred to you...

Get a second life from a nice earring you just can't bear to discard, after its mate has wandered off.

Here are a couple of silver earrings
that have been sitting in my jewelry box for ages. Single, lonely and sad.

They're the type with a soldered earwire attached.

Now I'm going to turn them into delicate little pendants.

Here goes!
Two ways to do it. The first is the most professional and secure, using a wrapped loop.



Those are the basic steps...sorry, I found it tricky to take process photos without having a third hand. For a step-by-step tutorial and fancy video demo from Fire Mountain Gems, click here.

If the earring has an extra little grabber-hook like this, you will need to clip it off:

Snip! If the clipped-off part is rough, smooth it with some sandpaper. There! First mini-pendant done!

Now here's a simpler method which doesn't use a true wrapped loop, but works great. Just swirl the earwire into a double closed circle.

The double circle is so easy-peasy, and makes a fine bail for hanging your pendant. Here, this shot is a leetle more in focus:

Now just match to a chain or cord, and you have a dainty necklace!

That's it, just a little idea. Mini tutorial, mini pendants. Sad and lonely single earrings no more, you can now take them out on the town and buy them a drink.

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to get the turquoise one a few to get it drunk and make it come home with me! *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. No..this has never occurred to me!! I'm glad you shared this idea.

    ROFL @lisbonlioness! I don't know if it's that kind of necklace. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like the green one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *smacks hand to forehead*
    I knew I was saving all those earrings for a reason!
    Also, I've finally gotten around to posting my first gift in the Doom challenge:
    http://shanghaicowgirl.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/hexagon-tiara-of-doom-part-1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some earings that have no match to...I always put them away saying I would find them, but I probally won't. This is a good idea because I am really into necklaces now. To cute M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I never thought to turn them into a pendant!! Easy tutorial too.
    Stopping over from Weekend Wrap up and following you.
    I'm having my first giveaway, would love if you could stop over sometime.
    http://ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's smart! thanks for posting this- I have a couple of earrings sitting around too, which sure could use some tlc.

    ReplyDelete