Monday, April 12, 2010

Sneak peek.

I'm going to show you what I got from Heather at DollarStoreCrafts. She sent ten mystery envelopes to ten people like me: admirers of her genius, crafty, sillyserious blog about converting stuff that costs a buck into stuff that makes you go "ooh!" We are legion. We are a hardy band of kooks - lovers of thrift shops, dollar stores, yard sales and flea markets. We are not cheapskates. No. We are treasure hunters!

My mission - and I have chosen to accept it - is to find something in this random collection of ephemera that inspires a project. She asks us to first comment on our impression of the items, then create an interesting...thing...of some sort, and write up a little tutorial on how we did it.

Here is my haul:

(You can click on the image to see it bigger.)

First impression: cool colors. (Designing jewelry, I'm always playing with, combining, recombining color.) I squint my eyes and get a dusty-rose kind of feel. Pink, beige, earthy browns...pretty!

Immediate second impression: I can't possibly do just one project. My brain is suddenly a pinball machine, with at least four ideas bink-bonking around in my head.

So I've decided to see how many things I can come up with from Heather's gift. I hereby challenge myself to find ten projects. At least ten!

I bet you a dollar I can do it.

3 comments:

  1. As the proud owner of several "Lichtericous" pieces of jeweled art, I can hardly wait to see how you apply your bodacious creativity to this pile of terrifyingly common objects. Let the challenge commence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I sent you a note telling you that you didn't have to do anymore projects, but I see that you're going to squeeze 10 projects outta your envelope, so yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you are doing with your stash, I never would have thought of any of the things you came up with! An idea popped into my head when I saw the dog tags you made. The white background from the tags, that is now a bunch of holes, looks like it could make a great picture frame. You could either put one picture in each hole, or you could use just one picture (if you could find the right one) and have different parts of the picture sticking through the different holes. Happy stash busting!

    ReplyDelete