Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Stashbust Project Eight: reversible pendant.

Today's project was an extra challenge I set myself. I decided to try creating something inspired by the object I liked least from my StashBust Challenge envelope. It was this greeting card:


In case you can't read it clearly, it says
"Sometimes you ride the wave. Sometimes the wave rides you. -Old surfer maxim"

I guess I've never felt much pull to use a quote as the focus of a piece. And the drawing on this card doesn't do a whole lot for me, either.

I thought and thought. The card was yucky! I should just abandon it and choose something better...no. I didn't want to give up, there must be something...

I realized I liked the quote for its duality. I had the idea to make a reversible pendant - one you can wear either way, depending on what kind of day you are having.

Optimism:


Pessimism:


I bet there are plenty of days in your life when the pendant would be flipped halfway through the day - and maybe flipped back again as well.


Although I didn't use an actual object from the challenge stash, this pendant has an upcycled history. It's a slice of antique walnut, from a broken headboard that our next door neighbor rescued from an alley. (Thanks, James.) People in my neighborhood are generous with their alley-scavenged treasures!

I also thought up a few variations on the theme. I want to make some as gifts targeted to specific people ; everyone has those reversible days. I bet you could come up with a couple for people in your own life. How about:

Sometimes you spin the wheel. Sometimes the wheel spins you.
Sometimes you run the household. Sometimes the household runs you.
Sometimes you crunch the numbers. Sometimes the numbers crunch you.

Sometimes you ride the wind.



Hey, sometimes you make the craft.

Sometimes the craft makes you. :)

8 comments:

  1. michelle, I flipped over you flipping jewlery.
    You can flip with the best of them.
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reversible pendants? You gotta be kidding me, this is the BESTEST(!) idea ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely made lemonade out of that lemon! I actually like the saying (which is why I bought the card, over 10 years ago...), but the card never really made sense to give to anyone. I love what you did with the reversible pendant! Very great stashbusting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey... can I beg this from you? If you don't have another home for it, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - one is coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the coolest piece of jewelry I have ever seen in any of the many blogs I read. I have no talent for jewelry making-but I am an awesome jewelry supply buyer and aunt to 3 nieces who like to spend the day going through my supplies and creating. I will show this wonderful wonderful necklace to them in hopes of getting a similar one for myself. Hope you don't mind if I link my blog back to this posting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Rollerwriter! Thanks for the pat on the back, you are too nice. Of course you can link me! From a fellow aunt who loves to totally spoil my nephews: you sound like the best auntie in the world. I would love to see what your nieces make from this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete